Saturday, October 18, 2014

"Lateral thinking with Withered Worldview"

I simply think Nintendo's concept of lateral thinking with withered technology is an amazing one. Sure, in this day and age, people want the new, sexy gadgets, but a blend of the modern with the nostalgic can it the sweet spot of new and old audiences. Nintendo accomplished this with the Wii, but is backtracking with the Wii U for all kinds of reasons that I do not feel appropriate to explore right now.

However, by "Withered Worldview" I mean my faith. I know that it is written in scripture that the world will become worse before it will better when Christ returns, but yeesh. And I'm not even talking about the secular world, but Christendom! I recently read a blog post featuring some alarming news:

 "In a recent study conducted by ChristianMingle.com, Christian singles between the ages of 18 to 59 were asked, 'Would you have sex before marriage?' The response? Sixty-three percent of the single Christian respondents indicated yes."

Undoubtedly, fornication is a crystal-clear, non-negotiable sin. But there are Christians out there who are actively looking for sexual partners, but not marriage partners. This is different from a Christian who has had sex and tries to correct their behavior, or even those who "get caught up in the moment" but Christians who are making the commitment to sin, and that's scary. It's another instance where it is not possible to distinguish between Christians and other people in the world, because they are of the world and not of it.

Lately I have been bombarded with stuff like this. Christians cussing like the rest of 'em and so forth. Being in environments like these (mostly work) has been detrimental to my personal spiritual growth.

As far as my personal growth is concerned, I stopped writing about two months ago and only recently have started again. I write primarily for self-catharsis, but if people can be impacted (positively or negatively--it is all discursive to me), then that is fine by me. However, if am writing as a contribution to a larger vision, I would expect some exposure. I posted a non-confrontational "goodbye" as I would step down from being a contributing writer at Place to Be Nation but I did not state why I was leaving. And that reason is that the guys who run that site flood it with wrestling. On any given day, there might be four unique wrestling-related podcasts in one day, while other publications on comics and video games are placed on the backburner. The entire staff that does not write on wrestling made this known to the editors, but we were told that PTBN was derived from a wrestling message board, and that would continue to be their focus and primary audience. I was okay with that explanation, because every publication could use unique and specialized topics. But then, many of the non-regular submissions trailed off. I was no longer a part of a cohort but a very, very small minority.

My wife, knowing that I have struggled since graduating college of sustaining any friendships, found a site called Geeks Under Grace which was TOTALLY what I was looking for all these years around the internet. I applied to become an editor, and I was accepted.

PRAISE GOD!

I will now be able to put my talents to use on a website geared toward a Christian audience. One of the things I hope to bring to the table is to be an author who happens to be a Christian rather an author who writes for Christians. It is an important distinction because for Christian publications tend to be...cheesy.

Speaking of for Christian publications, an author has asked me to review his book, Marionette. That' will be coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment